Friday 6 March 2015

Avant Garde Hairstyles

For this lesson, Emma showed us a variety of techniques using materials and hair pieces in order to create Avant Garde hairstyles. She introduced a number of new products to us including Buckram, wire mesh and chicken wire, all of which can be used to create pieces that can be attached to the hair.



Products/Equipment used:
-Brushes
-Pins and grips
-Dolly head
-Cardboard
-Hair pieces
-Crepe hair
-Wire
-Tape

Health and Safety:
-Ensure the work place is clean and tidy
-Ensure all equipment is clean and ready to use
-Ensure the model is sitting at the correct height to avoid RSI
-Be careful when moulding the wire as some edges can be sharp


Creating a bow with cardboard


Step by step: (Cardboard)
-Firstly, draw a box shape on a piece of cardboard (I used a cereal box) and cut out the shape.
-Wrap hair weft around the bow and secure it to the cardboard with a grip
-Wrap an additional piece of hair around the middle of the bow and grip into the cardboard ensuring the grip cannot be seen.
-Set aside the bow for now.
-Brush the hair up into a ponytail on top of the head, ensuring it is neat and there are no loose hairs.
-Secure the ponytail with an elastic band.
-Wrap the ponytail into a messy bun and secure to the head with hair grips.
-Take the bow and position it in front of the bun, pin it to the head using grips and pins until it does not move.



Attaching the piece to the head


    
 
 
 
Step by step: (Cage)
-Firstly, brush the hair using a paddle brush ensuring there are no knots in the hair.
-Section the hair around the place you want the cage to sit.
-Create anchors for the cage to be pinned to by creating pin curls and attaching them flat to the head by cross gripping them.
-Position the cage on top of the head, check the mirror to ensure it is in the right position and secure the cage to the head by gripping through the holes into the anchor.
-Once fully pinned and secure, grab a ball of crepe hair in a hair net and put it in the cage, secure it to the head with grips.
-Begin to back comb sections of hair, wrap it up the cage, gripping it into the crepe hair with a grip.
-Repeat this step, working section after section, until the whole cage is covered.
-Ensure that the grips cannot be seen and use the fine grips for particularly difficult pieces of hair.
-Use hairspray and a comb to smooth out the hair and ensure maximum hold.
 
 
 
Evaluation
 
 
What went well:
I really enjoyed this lesson and particularly liked creating a bow out of cardboard. I was pleased with how well I managed to cover the cardboard with the weft and got it looking so neat. Emma told us to work in pairs as it was quite tricky to do but I managed to do it well on my own so I was happy about that. I found it easy to attach the bow to the head and found that it stayed attached well however I do think that visually, my bow could have been better. I was happy with my cage work and although I did not create the cage myself, I think that I worked well to incorporate a hairstyle onto it. My idea for this hairstyle was to create a Frankenstein's bride hairstyle and I think I did well to make this. I was pleased with the height and overall tidiness of the hairstyle and was happy with how sturdy the cage was due to the anchors I made first.
 
What I found difficult:
Out of the two looks, I found the cage hairstyle most challenging. As the cage had no body to it and was just a skeleton, it was almost impossible to pin hair to. To overcome this I attached some crepe hair to the inside to give the grips something to hold onto but in hindsight I think that this may result in the style becoming loose quickly and falling out, especially if the model was to move around a lot. To prevent this in future, I would wrap around the outside of the cage with Buckram and then pin the grips through the material, ensuring that the hair would be secure.
 
 
What I could improve on:
There are many things that I think I could improve on for this look. Although I was pleased I was able to make a bow, I think that I could have made it a lot neater. The bow shape itself was fine but the inner part needed to be smaller as I think the hair in the middle looked slightly strange because it was so wide unlike a realistic bow. To take this technique further, I would like to experiment with a large variety of bows around the head and I would like to incorporate the bows into a more elaborate style. I think to improve my cage work, I would like to create a more quirky style that is less theatrical and more of a fashion style.
 
 
Overall, I really enjoyed this introduction to cage work and am looking forward to furthering my abilities in next weeks lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment