Friday 6 March 2015

Creating Textures

For this lesson, Branka showed us how to incorporate a variety of materials into the makeup to add texture to the face. She showed us different materials such as glitter, sequins, gems and metallic card and explained how to stick them to the face using adhesives like spirit gum and duo glue. 

There was no set makeup design for this lesson so Branka told us to come up with a design ourselves making sure that texture was included. 


Demonstration by: Branka
Model: Georgia Wood
 

The above design is the demonstation from Branka. She didn't plan the makeup beforehand and just told us to play with the colour and materials. I really love the contrast of the glitter against the other colours of this look and I was excited to experiment. 
 

Products: 
-Kryolan greasepaints 
-Mandy Gold foundation palettes
-Cosmetic grade glitter 
-Duo glue 
-MAC mascara 
-MAC eyeliner 
-Ben Nye eyeshadow palette
-Gemstones
-Tweezers 
-Brushes 

Health and Safety: 
-Ensure that the workplace is clean and tidy
-Ensure all equipment is clean and ready to use 
-Ensure that the model is positioned at the correct height 
-Ensure that the glitter used is specifically allowed to be used on the face (Cosmetic grade) 
-Ensure the models eyes are closed when applying adhesives to the face 


 


 
Step by step: 
-Cleanse, tone and moisturise the face ensuring no makeup residue is left. 
-Create a foundation from the Mandy Gold palette that is slightly paler than the models natural skintone and apply to the face using a foundation brush. (This will make the coloured makeup stand out more) 
-Chose a dark foundation colour for the contour and begin to apply under the cheekbones, down the sides of the nose and at the sides of the forehead. Blend the foundation into the skin using a blending brush.
-Taking a red from the Kryolan greasepaint palette and a small acrylic brush, begin to draw a mask shap on the face. 
-Make the colour strong around the edges by applying more product and using a small Kryolan bodypainting brush, begin to blend the colour towards the middle of each eye, ensuring that the colour is almost translucent around the eyes.
-Using a brown colour from the Ben Nye eyeshadow palette, apply to around the eyelid and under eye, blending out the edges into the mask.
-Ask the model to look up and apply MAC black eyeliner to the water line.
-Using a fan brush, add mascara to the top and bottom lashes.
-Taking the duo glue, apply it to the bottom part of the mask and add glue in a tear drop motion to the edge of the mask.
-Using your finger, dip it in glitter and begin to attach the glitter to the areas that are glued. (This works best if the glue is tacky)
-Remove any excess glitter that has moved between the tear drops using a cotton bud.
-Taking the same red greasepaint and a lip brush, apply the colour to the lips, ensuring the whole lip is covered and is well balanced.
-Using an angle brush and black from the Kryolan greasepaint palettes, create a sharp M shape on the lip line.
-Create lines on the forehead to add to the look.
-Using tweezers, dip the black gemstones into duo glue and press down underneath the bottom lip to frame it.

 
 
Evaluation 

What went well:
This lesson was my absolute favourite. I really enjoyed experimenting with the glitter and although my model is allergic to spirit gum, I did not feel daunted by this and quickly found an alternative to use. The duo glue worked really well as an adhesive and although it took a while for the glitter to build up, I was pleased with the effect I created. My idea for this design was a mascaraed ball with an oriental twist. I primarily used the colour red and enhanced it with black detail. I really enjoyed blending the red colour into the middle of the mask and think that I did well to create an almost translucent, highlighted appearance around the eyes as if the mask was part of the skin. Perhaps my favourite product of this lesson was the cosmetic grade glitter. Adding this product to the face really helped to create texture and was aesthetically pleasing. I absolutely love everything about glitter apart from the mess it makes so I was very excited to use it in the lesson. I loved using the gemstones in the lesson and think they really worked well to finish the look. I was particularly pleased with my lip application as remembering previous lessons, this was something I struggled with.
 
What I found difficult/What I could improve on: 
I didn't find anything particularly difficult for this lesson. The fact that we were allowed to create whatever we liked enabled me to freely experiment with products and there weren't any that I came across that I found difficult to use. If I was going to improve this look, I would attempt to make the black lines smoother as this is something that I think requires a lot of practise. Although I am happy with my line work, some weren't as straight as I wanted them to be and were different in size where I had run out of product whilst drawing one and gone back in so I think that is definitely something that I could improve. Apart from that I think the only thing that I could do to improve this look would be to take it further and create a more intricate design.
 
Overall, this lesson was really fun and I loved learning about all the different materials that can be stuck to the face. I am really pleased with this makeup look and think that it is a very strong design.

No comments:

Post a Comment