Friday 6 March 2015

Sleek ponytails and messy buns for Catwalk

For this lesson, Emma showed us a variety of images incorporating sleek ponytails and messy buns into the catwalk. She showed us how to create a messy bun and also recommending products to ensure a smooth finish on our ponytails.


Products/Equipment used:
-Dolly head
-Hair straighteners
-Hairbands
-Brushes
-Pins and grips
-Crepe Hair
-Hairspray

Health and Safety:
-Ensure the working area is clean and tidy
-Ensure all equipment is clean and ready to use
-Be careful when using the heated appliances near the models face
-Ensure that there are no trailing wires from the electrical equipment


Sleek Ponytail


Messy bun


Step by step: (Ponytail)
-Brush the hair thoroughly using a Denman brush to ensure that there are no knots in the hair and it is nice and smooth.
-Section the hair with clips and straighten the whole head of hair, starting underneath and taking small sections to straighten.
-Take the hair into a ponytail, holding it tight to the head. Smooth out any bumps using a comb.
-Tie the hair into a tight ponytail using a hairband.
-Taking a small piece of hair from the outer side of the ponytail, wrap it around the hairband to hide it and pin the piece of hair into the hair ensuring that it is not visible and the piece of hair is secure.
 
Step by step: (Messy bun)
-Create a smooth ponytail following the steps above.
-Take some crepe hair and a hair net and mould the crepe hair into a sausage shape.
-Put the shape around the ponytail forming a circle and pin the crepe hair to the head.
-Take a section of the ponytail and using a pintail comb, backcomb the underneath and wrap it over the crepe hair, smoothing the top and pinning the leftover hair underneath with a grip.
-Continue to do this, taking sections of the ponytail until all of the crepe hair is covered and a bun is formed.



Evaluation
 
 
What went well:
I really enjoyed this lesson and am particularly pleased with my sleek ponytail. I think that I managed to get it very neat and it looks very good. Using a section of hair to cover the hairband really adds to the completed design and I was pleased with how smooth I managed to get the hair. I think that a technique that really helped me achieve this was smooth the hair with a comb after the ponytail was create. The messy bits of hair could be hidden under the hair that wrapped the hairband giving it a sleek finish.
 
What I found difficult:
I found the messy bun more difficult than the sleek ponytail and think that generally, I used too much crepe hair. The bun was far too big on top of the head and ideally, I would have liked it smaller. Gripping the hair underneath was difficult as I had to ensure that each section was pinned in the same place to ensure a neat bun all the way around. Once I  had gripped half the hair into place, it began to get more tricky pinning the hair in as the grips kept getting caught in the grips that were already in the hair.
 
What I could improve on:
Although I was pleased with my hair designs, there is definitely significant room for improvement. In particular, I would like to revisit the bun and correct it and I would also like to incorporate hair pieces into it for decorative purposes. I think the bun would have looked good with a braid around the joining of the bun so this is something I would like to create in future. As well as this, although the bun is a catwalk messy style, I think that it could have benefited from being slightly smoother as there were a lot of stray hairs around the bun. Using hairspray and gently combing the hair would help to smooth the hair without running the messy style of the bun.





No comments:

Post a Comment