Monday 9 March 2015

Shoot Day

The day of the shoot came around really fast but I felt well prepared and ready to enjoy the experience.

Health and Safety:
-Ensure all products are cleaned and ready to use
-Ensure the work space is tidy
-Ensure the model has no allergies

Products/Equipment:
-Brushes
-Curling Iron
-Pins and Grips
-Hair bands
-Cotton buds
-Cleansing products
-Ben Nye eyeshadow palette
-Kryolan blusher palette
-Duo glue
-Kryolan liquid eyeliner
-Kryolan lip palette
-MAC face and body foundation
-Kryolan translucent powder
-Benefit high beam
-MAC mascara
-Kryolan eyelashes

Timings:
00.00 Prepare the skin by cleansing, toning and moisturising.
00.05 Set the front of the hair in rollers, clip the rest of the hair away from the face.
00.10 Create the eye makeup, concentration on the crease using the Ben Nye palette and
          creating the winged eyeliner. Add mascara to the top lashes, attach the false lashes
          with duo glue and put mascara on top, joining them together.
00.30 Match the models foundation using MAC face and body and apply to the face in a
          feathering motion whilst ensuring there are no streaks. Set the foundation with a small
          amount of powder.
00.35 Contour under the cheekbones using powder and blend it into the skin.
00.40 Contour other areas such as the bridge of the nose, top of the head and under the jawline
00.45 Add the Benefit highlight to the cheek bones and the bridge of the nose. Set lightly with
          Kryolan powder highlight.
00.50 Layer colours from the Kryolan lip palette onto the lips using a lip brush. Start light and build
          up darker creating a layered effect.
01.00 Take out the rollers from the front and backcomb the hair slightly.
01.05 Brush the hair to the side using a Denman and secure with a rubber band, leaving out smaller
          sections on each side.
01.10 Create a fishtail braid down the length of the hair, securing with a hair band. Wrap a section of
          the hair around the rubber band and pin it with a grip to hide the hair band.
01.20 Taking the curling iron, curl the small sections of hair away from the face.
01.25  Holding the fishtail at the end, pull the sections loose and add petals to the gaps
01.30 FINISH



Images from the shoot


Photo's from the shoot


Evaluation

I found the shoot day really fun. Knowing that I only had a maximum of two hours booked in for the shoot, I had to work to a time limit and ensure I stuck to it. Surprisingly, I stayed relaxed the whole time and really enjoyed myself. I found it helpful to have a small clock next to my makeup equipment as it enabled me to be able to check the time whilst referring to my timings to see if I was on track.

I was really happy with how the makeup turned out and didn't encounter any major problems when creating the look. One thing that I felt was quite challenging was my model's watery eyes. I found myself having to touch up the eye makeup a lot because her eye's were watering a lot and asking her to keep them closed was not helping it to stop it. Although this was only a minor problem, I found it quite difficult to keep touching up the makeup without disturbing the eyeliner. Another problem that I had to work with was my models lips. Her lips were quite heavily chapped and although we prepped them before the start of the look by adding Vaseline to them, it didn't help them as much as I would have liked. I think that although I did my best to layer on the lip colour to disguise this, they could still be seen as quite heavily chapped.

A product I could have used instead of Vaseline to help the lips is Embryolisse which is a fast working moisturiser. Although I didn't have any with me at the time, it is definitely something I will consider having in my kit for next time when problems such as these arise.

I was really pleased with how the hair style went. I didn't have any major difficulties with the hair and felt it turned out really well. What surprised me when creating the hair, was just how quickly I was able to achieve a neat braid. I made sure to be very careful when curling the hair so close to the head and successfully created the curls to frame her face.

The photographer Amy, was really helpful with listening to what I wanted to achieve and the model  Georgia, was patient and quick to change poses as I told her. I think I did well in arranging a good team as we all seemed to work well together.

There were a few minor problems when shooting the images. The prop that I had originally taken to cover the eye was much too big  for the eye of my models face. To quickly improvise, I cut a heart out of some card I had from an envelope in my bag and stuck it to the original prop. If anything, I prefer the paper prop to the original and think it suits the style of the magazine.

Another problem we had was the lighting. Amy’s studio is in her home and although we had the use of studio lights and reflectors, I felt that the images would look better in softer light. I noticed a beautiful mirror in the corner and asked if we could try some photos here. It is from this batch of photos I chose my final image.

Overall, the shoot proved to be a success. On receiving the variety of images, I was really pleased with how my look turned out and couldn't wait to create a magazine cover from the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment