Monday 9 March 2015

Final Image: i-D Magazine 'The love edition'


 
 
This is my final image for my publication. I am really happy with the hair and makeup and think it reflects the hair and makeup trends I chose to base my look on whilst conforming to the publication's style and target audience. I am especially pleased with how this photograph came out and really enjoyed working with both the photographer and model to come up with a final piece.
 
When editing the image, I used the programme Photoshop. The image itself was not edited in any way apart from being flipped horizontally as I covered the wrong eye in the shoot. To add the logo, I scanned the original logo from a magazine I had and then changed the colour of it on the programme. I added the text myself, choosing a font that I thought would suit the magazine. I coloured the text 'love fast; white in order to contrast against the colour of the models dress.
 
Products I think that worked really well in particular was the Benefit highbeam and Kryolan highlighter. The highlight can be seen well on the face, in particular on the models nose and I was really happy with how the camera picked it up. I also think that MAC face and body worked well on the models skin to create a flawless look. Using minimal powder allowed the makeup to look dewy and I was really pleased with the finish result.
 
Although I am really pleased with the overall image, there are things that I would improve on for next time. I took my set bag to the shoot to make finishing touches but as you can see from the above image, there is a loose hair across the forehead. I could have photoshopped this out of my final magazine image but I decided not to edit my photograph in any way so that it was a true reflection of my work. In future, I would take extra care to make sure that any loose hairs were moved before the photographs were taken. I also realised that one of the rose petals had come away from the hair at the top of the ponytail so this is something I would make sure to look at for next time however generally I am really pleased with my final image and would not change anything else.
 
 
COLLABORATING WITH OTHER ARTISTS
 
The most important thing I learnt about working in a team was that although when we were first give the projects it seemed quite daunting, it was actually the opposite. Working together with the model and photographer enabled me to have more confidence with my work. The day of the shoot went really well and I was pleased with how my makeup and hair turned out.

One of the important things I realised when working in a team was that I needed to explain myself well in order for the model and photographer to know what look I wanted. Without the use of my mood board and face design, I think explaining the idea would have been more difficult, which just shows how important they are when working in this industry.

On the understanding that the model would receive photographers and the photographer could use the images for her website, I was able to complete this shoot for free. I didn’t have to buy any additional products as all  makeup and hair products were from my kit and the dress was the models own.

I think it is really important that I practise this type of collaboration more in order to build my portfolio whilst keeping the budget as low as possible. Although I am aware that this industry is competitive and both the model, photographer and myself aim to earn from our trades, I think as long as each artist can benefit from the shoot, there is no harm in working for free.

Overall, I really enjoyed this project and am looking forward to organising future shoots. I was surprised with how well I was able to work under pressure and with people that I didn’t know and am happy with the final image I created.


WHAT I HAVE LEARNT

Looking back to the beginning of the year and thinking about how my skills have developed over the last few months, I am really pleased with my progress.

I remember one of my very first lessons I was unable to achieve a winged eyeliner on my model and comparing that to how I quickly achieved the liner on my shoot without worrying or making any mistakes, it shows me how my skills have progressed in such a short amount of time. As well as this, I find that my time keeping has improved a lot and I am not spending so long on a makeup look now which will help me in future.

The most important thing I have learned this year is to just go with any ideas I have and if they don't turn out how I would like then it isn't the end of the world, it is just something I can learn from.

I think my most favourite lessons this year have been the more creative ones in the second term. I really loved the lesson on glitter as it allowed us to freely do whatever we wanted whilst experimenting with new products and I also really loved the lesson on face lace as it enabled me to realise that I do not need to spend loads of money on makeup products in order to achieve brilliant results.

Looking back through the research I have done over the past terms, it has surprisingly made me realise how much I enjoy fashion. What excites me is how much hair and makeup is used to enhance the clothes seen on the catwalk and I can definitely see myself working in fashion in future.

I have really enjoyed this project and am sad to see it end but am particularly excited in knowing that like the shoot I organised, it is all down to me to take the skills Branka and Emma have taught me and use them in order to push myself further with my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment