Friday 6 March 2015

Bleaches Eyebrows

For this lesson, Branka showed us how to create the illusion of a bleached brow as an alternative to the real thing. We were asked to chose a makeup design that incorporated the bleached eyebrow look
and recreate the makeup on our model incorporating the bleached brow look using the technique Branka showed us in the demo.

This trend in high fashion:
In fashion makeup, bleached brows are particularly popular due to past and recent trends. Artists such as Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus have rocked this look on the red carpet and makeup artist Pat Mcgrath has recently sent models on the runway for Givenchy with bleached brows for SS15. Although it is normally accustom for the models brows to be bleached and then re-dyed back to the natural colour, some models/agencies may not agree to it as part of their contract so this technique is used as an alternative.


Branka's Demonstration

The image above shows Branka's demonstration of a bleached eyebrow effect on the model, Olivia. As you can see, the models natural dark hair colour is hidden well in this application and the hairs appear much lighter in colour, giving the effect that the hairs have been bleached.


Health and Safety:
-Ensure the model is sitting at the correct height to prevent RSI
-Ensure all equipment is clean and ready to use
-Ensure the work area is tidy, with a neat set up bin to deposit waste
-Ensure the model's eyes are closed when applying spirit gum
-Be sure to test the model for any allergies before application of products

Products/equipment used:
-Spirit gum
-MME
-Ben Nye eyeshadow palette
-Kryolan derma colour palette
-MAC mascara


Step by Step: (bleached eyebrow effect)
-Using a spooly, brush the eyebrows in the wrong direction, apply a small amount of spirit gum then brush the hairs in the right direction.
-Using a flat brush, mix colours from the Kryolan derma colour palette to create a yellow colour (think of a dirty blonde hair colour).
-Work the brush into the eyebrows in the wrong direction and then brush the hairs in the right direction.
-Use a cotton bud to remove any excess product that has gone onto the skin.
-Using shell from the Ben Nye palette, apple to the eyebrow in order to set the concealer.


 


Evaluation

I really enjoyed this lesson and found it interesting that makeup could be used to give the appearance of a bleached brow. I chose a makeup from the internet that incorporated the bleached brow. The model in the picture had a strong brown eye makeup and a slightly dewy appearance to her skin however I do not have the picture as when using it on the day I forgot to save it and have since been unable to find it again.

What went well: 
 I was particularly pleased with my eye makeup for this lesson as I think I created quite an even application on both sides. To create the eye makeup, I used the Ben Nye eyeshadow palette and used a variety of brown colours, making sure the edges were a darker brown colour and blended well into a lighter brown on the lid. I was pleased with my eyeliner application although I think that I would have liked to use a cake liner rather than MAC blacktrack because it wasn't as prominent as I would have liked. I used a mixture of colours from the Mandy Gold foundation palette to create the foundation and applied it using a foundation brush, using the warmth of my fingers to get rid of any streaks. I think the foundation worked well and to make it appear more dewy, I only powdered it slightly so that it matched the picture.

What I found difficult:
Although the technique of creating the bleached brow was easy, I did make errors in my application that made this look more difficult to achieve. I used too much spirit gum on the eyebrows which made it harder for me to manipulate the hairs. The hairs became stuck together and I found I was unable to separate them. Although once the derma colour was applied to the hairs, it did create the bleached brow effect, as you can see from my photograph, the brows look very clumped. To fix this in future, I would use minimal spirit gum. I think that I could have adjusted this error by taking some MME and a cotton bud and putting it through the hairs but my model is allergic to some spirit gum removers and during that time, we were testing MME and Proclean in patches on her arm to see if a reaction would occur.

What I could improve on:
I think that to improve this look, the only thing I need to concentrate on is the amount of product I used as this is the only fault I made with the technique. I also think that although I was pleased with the eye makeup, the edges needed to be more blended so this is something I would take into consideration in future. I ran out of time when completing this look because I wasn't sure how to overcome the difficulties. In future, before I create a makeup, I think it would be beneficial for me to consider things that could go wrong with the look and how to overcome them. That way I wouldn't waste time and would be able to achieve the full look in the time given.

Overall, I really enjoyed this lesson and although I felt slightly annoyed at myself for making such a silly mistake, I am glad that I did because I know it is not something that I will do again.



No comments:

Post a Comment