Monday 9 March 2015

Final Design: Hair and Makeup inspiration

To go with the love theme I have chosen and taking into consideration the youthful feel of the magazine, as well as the topics featured inside, I have decided to create a hair and makeup that accentuates these things.

I have decided to take inspiration from both Dolce & Gabbana and Mara Hoffman's SS15 trends.


THE MAKEUP


SS15 makeup trends at Dolce & Gabbana
 
Dolce & Gabbana makeup and fashion trends featured in Vogue UK & Elle UK
 
The makeup at Dolce & Gabbana was created by legendary makeup artist Pat McGrath. The fashion collection, influenced strongly by Spain is also shown in the makeup. The makeup consisted of a darkened strong brows, a beautifully bronzed and slightly dewy skin complete with a winged eyeliner and false lashes. As well as this the most prominent feature was the lip which was created by Pat by using a layering technique. To create this look Pat McGrath used Dolce & Gabbana classic cream lipstick in shades Ultra and Amethyst as well as Dolce matte lipstick in Dolce Desire on top.

Although it is stated that Dolce & Gabbana lipsticks were used to create this makeup, there are many alternatives that they could have used for this look. The lipstick has quite a shiny finish to it and I think that a good alternative to the lipstick used would be MAC diva lipstick which is a rich, deep red colour and similar in colour to the lipstick used in the campaign.

I love this look for SS15 and think that it will work well in my design to create a confident, fun, look that will also work with my chosen publication. Although I love this look, my aim is not to create a Spanish feel so I will be making the lip colour slightly brighter and not creating such prominent brows. The reason for this is because although beautiful, I think this makeup looks better on a maturer woman which is not the type of woman I am creating for my shoot. Overall though I will be taking most makeup aspects into my design such as the bronzed contour, dewy skin, bold lip colour and winged eyeliner.


THE HAIR

To compliment the romantic feel of my magazine and makeup as well as adding a youthful presence to the model, I have decided to take inspiration from one of the most prominent hairstyles seen on the SS15 catwalks.

Across a variety of designers, different braids were featured with designer Mara Hoffman's style appealing to me most. Hairstylist Nick Irwin took the classic fishtail plait and added a beach feel to the hair technique. I really liked this hairstyle because it almost had a rebellious feel to it, in that it was not constructed and formed but was more free and creative. This is the same type of message I want to give to the audience of my magazine so I think it will work well with my publication.

From looking at photographs of the hairstyle created , I think that the stylist created the messy braid by first creating a normal, messy fishtail and then pulling a piece of the plait down and bunching the rest of the plait up to create the messy look.

This type of hairstyle works well with my publication because I can recreate it into a more romantic and street look. Although I will not be creating the exact same style, I will still be incorporating a messy fishtail braid into my design using this trend as my inspiration.



Mara Hoffman's fishtail braid SS15


Hairstylist Nick Irwin creates the beach fishtail braid

The hair at the Dolce & Gabbana catwalk featured beautiful roses adorned in the hair. These roses were used to accentuate the Spanish feel of the look. Although I think the roses are very prominent in creating a Spanish look, I have decided to add rose petals to my fishtail braid in order to show referenced to Dolce & Gabbana, whilst adding to the romantic feel of my cover edition.

The hair at Dolce and Gabbana

No comments:

Post a Comment