Sunday 7 December 2014

Blow drying techniques- Full body.

Blow drying techniques- Full Body

In this lesson, we evaluated our straight blow drying technique from before and this time, looked at achieving a full body blow dry. Emma demonstrated how to add volume to the hair when drying, incorporating Velcro rollers for extra lift.



Products used:
-Shampoo and conditioner
-Heat defence spray
-Vitapoint
 
Tools used:
-Brushes
-Velcro rollers
-Hairdryer
 
Health and Safety:
-Ensure the work space is clean and tidy, with no trailing wires.
-Ensure all electrical equipment is in good working order.
-Ensure brushes are clean and hair free.
 
Step by step:
-Shampoo and condition the hair.
-Dry the hair by patting away any excess water, do not rub the hair as it could cause it to tangle.
-Part the hair into sections, clip the bulk of the hair to the top of the head.
-Start from the bottom, taking small sections.
-Grab a section, place a round, ceramic radial brush under the hair.
-Angle the hairdryer downwards on top of the hair and lift the hair with the brush as you dry. (Lifting the hair as you dry will prevent losing the lift.)
-Use this technique over the whole head.
-When it comes to the front, arrange the hair into a side parting. Use the same lifting technique when drying.
-Once dry, take a piece of hair the width of the roller and roll the rollers under towards the head.
-Attach with a hairclip if the roller does not stay into place.


Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Fig. 3

Fig. 4

 
 
Evaluation
 
I really enjoyed this lesson because I was taught new techniques and used new tools. I really enjoyed blow drying the hair and adding volume but I did find it a bit challenging trying to hold the brush and angle the hairdryer at the same time. As I had already used the Denman brush to dry the hair, this time I decided to use a ceramic round brush. I made sure not to roll the brush too far up as Emma had warned us that it would become stuck in the hair if we rolled it too far up.
 
What is great about the ceramic brush is that the middle of the brush is metal and has vents in it which allows the hot hair from the hairdryer to heat up the brush as you brush it through. The heat breaks up the hydrogen bonds in the hair which ultimately stops the hair from becoming frizzy. I think that my blow dry turned out really well and smooth (Fig. 3) and think that it really helped using this brush to achieve the finished look.
 
I made sure to pull the hair upwards as I dried the hair to add the volume and particularly paid attention to the front of the hair as I wanted extra lift in these areas. To hold the lift in, I used Velcro rollers in the hair which were really easy to put in compared to Carmen rollers. I really liked using these tools because they were much larger than the Carmen's so I knew it would create a bigger lift. The Velcro rollers are easy to attach to the hair and are self gripping which allowed me to put them in quite quickly. I was happy with how I put them in the front of the hair (Fig.2) but think that I could have put them in a lot more tidier in the back (Fig. 1) as they were a bit all over the place and some of the hair was falling off the rollers where I had taken too big a section for the roller.
 
Once I had taken the rollers out, I added more volume to the hair by teasing the roots. Although I was happy with the finished outcome (Fig. 4) I still think that I could have added more volume to the top of the hair as the right hand side does look a bit flat. If I were to recreate this look again, I would follow the steps exactly how I did this time but I would work on my brush skills to ensure I created the lift to begin with. I realise that with practise, my skills will get better and I will get faster as I did notice that blow drying took me much longer than it should have. Overall, I really enjoyed this lesson and was pleased with my volumized, smooth finish.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment