Sunday 7 December 2014

Creating a wet roller set with a brick setting.

In one of the first hair lesson with Emma, we learnt how to create a brick set in the hair using rollers.
 
Rollers are used in order to obtain a longer lasting hairstyle, whether to create curls or to be used as a mould for the hair to be shaped into. A brick set is used to create volume and also prevents any gaps or lines from being formed in the hair.

Emma Croombs demonstration.
 
Tools:
-Rollers
-Setting spray
-Water spray
-Pins and grips
-Dolly head
-Brushes
-Hairdryer
-Hairdryer bonnet

 Health and Safety
-Ensure the work space is clean and tidy.
-Ensure all equipment is clean.
-Ensure there are no trailing wires from the electrical items.
-Ensure all electrical items are in good working order.
-Place all equipment on a clean towel.
 
Step by step:
-Firstly, brush all the hair back using a paddle brush, ensure any tangles or knots are smoothed out.
-Starting from the front of the head, take a section from the front using the end of the tail comb, no wider than the size of the roller.
- Angle the hair 90 degrees and spritz with water and then setting lotion.
-Place the roller underneath the hair and begin rolling  the hair underneath towards the head until the roller meets the head.
-Secure with a hair pin.
-Continue this technique on the whole head making sure to stagger the rollers like bricks to prevent any gaps when the style is dressed out.
-Remember to have good tension on the rollers and angle the hair 90 degrees from the head.
-Once all the rollers have been put in, attach a hairdryer to a hairdryer bonnet and place it on the dolls head to warm the rollers and dry the hair.
-Once the rollers have cooled, take them out and dress out the hair as desired.
 
Fig. 1.
 
Fig. 2.

 
 
Fig. 3. Finished style.
 

 

Evaluation:

 I really enjoyed creating this brick set and also enjoyed using  the metal rollers as I had never used them before. Before, I have only ever used heated Carmen rollers, so wetting the hair and drying it on metal rollers was a new experience for me. The differenced between metal rollers and heated rollers is just that the metal rollers is a more old fashioned technique, however I would say that after trying this technique, the ready heated ones are more sufficient and I find that the curl lasted longer because they can reach a certain degree of heat quickly.

As you can see from my photographs, although I found the actual rolling of the rollers easy, my bricking pattern was not the standard it could have been. I think that for this particular set, I had good tension and angled the rollers correctly. My set did not have any overhanging hair so I was pleased that I took the correct amount of hair for each roller. I think where I went wrong was that I did not follow the shape of the head when creating my brick set so lost my formation. In fig.1. you can see that the rollers are a bit wonky on each side and not as straight as they should be so this would be something I would definitely work on in future. In fig. 2. you can see that my set slants diagonally, this is due to not sectioning the hair properly so in future I will make sure to take cleaner sections.

I was happy with how my finished look turned out because I think that I successfully created volume in the hair. I teased to the roots of the hair using a teasing brush to add volume and although I think I could have done more backcombing, overall I was pleased with the outcome. I really like the shape that I created from the rollers although one side did appear smoother than the other. (Fig.3) To fix this, next time I would add a smoothing product such as Vitapoint in order to create a smoother finish. Overall, I was happy with how this lesson went and the look I created but I do realise the mistakes I made and how I could improve this look and take it further. Experimenting with different tools was really enjoyable and I look forward to creating more styles in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment