Sunday 7 December 2014

Foundations

Foundations
 
For our first Fashion lesson, we were taught about different foundations. We learnt about full, medium and light coverage foundations and experimented on each other to see the differences between them.

Our Lecturer Branka went through a number of popular brands of foundations, explaining the pros and cons of each and demonstrated the coverage on her hand, to show us the differences between them.
 
An example of a medium/full coverage foundation is MAC studio fix which is MACS most sold foundation. This particular type of foundation has a good coverage and is very buildable but there are also some negatives of the product. This foundation has a high alcohol content so it is very drying and can leave pigment on the face. As well as this, the product can cause spot breakout and it and Branka told us that it is a common product to cause allergy.
 
An example of a light/medium coverage foundation is MAC face and body. At the beginning of the lesson most of the class said they did not like MAC Face and Body but by the end, Branka had convinced us all that it is in fact, a great product that can be buildable. Some pros of MAC face and body are that it's waterproof, it can be thickened once the air has got to it and it can be mixed with moisturiser and used as a tanning product. A con to the product is that although you can build it up, it is quite sheer and may not be suitable for those who need a full coverage foundation.
 
 
Model: Millie Redrup
Makeup: Branka Vorkapic

For Branka's demonstration, she showed us how to build up MAC Face and Body by using a metal spatula to aggravate the product on the back of the hand. The heat from the hand warmed up the foundation and the air got inside it to thicken it up. She then applied the foundation to the left hand side of the face. For the right side of the face she used MAC studio fix to show us the difference between the two coverage's.
 
 
Products:
 -MAC face and body foundations
-MAC studio fix foundations
-Setting powder

Step by step:
-Cleanse, tone and moisturise the face.
-Match the models skin tone to the foundation, check against the skin and check in the mirror.
-Apply the foundation with a foundation brush, using the tip to feather it on lightly.
-Use the warmth of your fingers to warm up the product on the face to prevent streaks.
-Set the foundation using a translucent powder.




Model: Olivia








Evaluation
 
I really enjoyed this lesson because it taught me a lot about foundations and the different types of coverage. I used MAC face and body on the left hand side of my model and MAC studio fix on the right hand side. I was very surprised at the coverage of the face and body foundation as when you first deposit it onto your hand it is very runny but it really does thicken up once the air has got into it, as Branka demonstrated. I think that this particular foundation worked well on my model because her skin type was normal. It really blended into the skin well and I found the feathering technique with the foundation brush really effective.
 
On the right hand side of the face, I used MAC studio fix foundation. Firstly, I created the wrong shade and made it too dark so I added a yellow tone to the foundation because my model has yellow undertones, which achieved the correct colour. I used the same feathering technique when applying this foundation to the face and think that because I was able to build the face and body foundation up, the coverage of the studio fix nearly matched the left hand side. Although I didn't have any issues with the studio fix foundation, I'm not sure that it is a product I like. The product created good coverage and had a matte finish which I liked but I just think that out of the two, face and body worked better on my models skin. By the end of the lesson, I analysed my models face and the studio fix appeared to have moved even though I powdered it with translucent powder. The reason for this is that MAC studio fix contains alcohol, which dries out the foundation and leaves behind pigment.
 
Overall, I was really happy with how the foundation application turned out and I was thoroughly pleased with my colour matching technique.










No comments:

Post a Comment