Sunday 7 December 2014

Carmen Roller Set

Carmen Rollers Set

For this lesson, we learnt how to create a brick set in the hair using Carmen rollers. The intention of a brick set is to create volume and also to make sure that there are no gaps/lines in the hair when it is dressed out.
 
 
Demonstration by Neil Rothwell
 
 
Tools:
-Carmen Rollers
-Brushes
-Setting spray
 
Health and Safety:
-Ensure the workspace is clean and tidy
-Ensure there are no trailing wires from electrical products
-Ensure to be careful when using heated appliances near the models skin
-Ensure all equipment, including brushes, is clean.
 
Step by Step:
-Firstly, brush the hair using a paddle brush to make sure there are no tangles or knots.
-Starting from the front of the head, take a section from the front using the end of the tail comb, no wider than the red sized roller.
- Angle the hair 90 degrees and spritz with water and then setting lotion.
-Place the red roller (biggest) underneath the hair and begin rolling  the hair underneath towards the head, tucking any stray hairs under with the tail comb, until the roller meets the head.
-Secure to the head with a hair pin.
-Continue this technique on the whole head making sure to position the rollers like bricks, and making sure to follow the natural curve of the head.
-Start using the red rollers from the top, then the second smallest size and so on once you have run out of the biggest ones.
-Remember to have good tension on the rollers and angle the hair 90 degrees from the head.
-Leave the rollers to cool.
-Dress the hair out as desired.
 
 
 
Fig. 1
Fig. 2
 
 
Evaluation
 
This was my first lesson using Carmen rollers and I really enjoyed it. I think that the speed I put the rollers in was really good and I didn't spend too long a time putting them in. I also think that I successfully managed to put all the loose hairs in the rollers by using the end of the tail comb to guide the hair onto the rollers so I was really happy with that. After taking my rollers out I was pleased to have no hooks which is something I know can happen if the rollers aren't put in correctly.
 
There are quite a few things that I wasn't happy about with this set and things that I know I can improve on to make it better. Firstly, in some areas I used too much hair so once I had secured the roller to the head, some of the hair began to fall off the sides. (Fig.1) In future, to prevent this I will measure the length of the roller against the section to ensure it all fits on the roller.
 
I think that my tension is something that I need to improve on. By tension, I mean the angle and how tight I roll the hair. The hair should have been rolled at a 90 degree angle but as you can see from the photograph ( Fig. 2) my rollers have been brought up too high and too low in some areas. This is something that I can definitely improve on and will improve the overall finished look when dressing out the hair. The other thing that I struggled with was the brick set. I think that I got myself a bit confused even though I kept referring back to the demonstration and as you can see by the photograph, (Fig. 1) my rollers are in different directions on each side. Also, at the back of the head (Fig. 2) I lost my brick formation slightly, leaving quite a large gap in the middle. To improve this next time, I would make sure to follow the natural curve of the head and also start my rollers from the middle working outwards rather than side to side to create a neater brick set.
 
Overall, I was happy with how this lesson went for my first attempt at heated rollers but can recognise what went wrong and what I need to do to improve this set.




No comments:

Post a Comment