Sunday 7 December 2014

Eyeliner

Eyeliner

In this lesson we learnt how to apply eyeliner and also looked at the different types of eyeliner that are available. Eyeliners available include kohl, gel, liquid, pencil and cake.
 
Branka explained the pros and cons of a variety of different eyeliners and also showed us different brushes that worked well with the products. Branka created a simple eyeliner and later showed us a creative twist. We were then told to re-create the classic eyeliner look as well as adapting it for a fun, catwalk twist.


Classic Liner
 
Model: Olivia Alete
Makeup by: Branka Vorkapic
 
The above image shows model Olivia with a classic eyeliner. This look was created by lecturer Branka and shows a simple eyeliner with a small flick. What I really liked about Branka's technique was that it was fast and created a perfect flick. I think that when learning to do eyeliner, the faster you apply it, the easier it is because spending too much time on it can make room for mistakes. I really like the subtle flick on this eyeliner which Branka created by lifting the brush away as she flicked.



Health and Safety
-Ensure the model is at the correct height
-Ensure all makeup brushes and kit are clean
-Ensure hands are clean and sanitized
-Use a spatula to deposit products, no cross contamination



Model: Bjorn Daniels
Fig. 1


Model: Bjorn Daniels
Fig. 2


 
Evaluation

What I did:
The above images show my attempt at a classic eyeliner. I used two different eyeliner products, one for each side in order to see which one I preferred. For Fig. 1 I used Screenface cake liner which is water based and activated by spritzing water onto the product to activate it. I started by using an angle brush and loading enough product onto it without overloading. (Overloading the brush would create a much thicker line and may prevent an even finish) I asked my model to close her eyes and lifted the brow to make it easier for me to have control of where I was going to apply the liner. I started applying the liner to the centre of the eye and asked my model to look away in order for me to line the inner corner of the eye. I then looked at the natural shape of the eye to determine where to flick the liner and lifted the brush away as I flicked the liner away from the eye. For Fig. 2 I followed the same technique but used an acrylic brush instead to create a thinner line and used Mac Blacktrack which is a gel eyeliner instead of cake.
 
What went well:
I really enjoyed using the cake eye liner because I think it gave a strong finish. If you compare the two photographs, the eyeliner on Fig. 1 is much stronger than Fig. 2. I'm pleased with the overall application of the liner and think that I managed to get the line on each eye rather straight with no wiggly lines. I think that both attempts have their strengths. The liner on Fig. 2 using the Blacktrack is all one thickness which I think can be quite hard to achieve.
 
What I could improve on:
Although the Mac Blacktrack is a very versatile product, I found it difficult to use and am not sure it is a preferred product of mine to use for eyeliner. The product itself is very drying which means you have to work with it quickly and as you can see from the right photograph, the intensity is not at strong as the cake liner. I think the main thing that I need to work on when it comes to eyeliner is the flick. In Fig. 1, when it came to doing the flick, I found lifting my brush away quite tricky and had to go over it again with more product. This created a solid flick rather than the softer flick intended like in Brankas tutorial. I was also unhappy with the flick in Fig. 2 because I did not bring it up high enough and instead brought it into the crease of the eye.
 
 
Catwalk Eyeliner
 

Model: Olivia Alete
Makeup by: Branka Vorkapic
 
The above image is Branka's version of eyeliner with a catwalk twist. What I particularly love about this look is the use of colour on the bottom of the eyeliner. It really compliments the lips and makes the eyeliner stand out.
 

Model: Bjorn Daniels

 
The above image shows my attempt at the catwalk liner. As you can see I had a very unsuccessful trial. Branka gave us a realistic but short amount of time to add foundation, eyeliner and lipstick to half the face before we had to swap over and unfortunately I did not have enough time to finish. I found colour matching Bjorn's skin with foundation rather difficult and once I had achieved her correct skin colour, I barely had any time left to add the eyeliner which made me panic and completely mess up the look I had in mind. I ended up just starting the beginning of a design above her eye which looked odd on its own. I left the lesson feeling very disheartened at my efforts but determined to work on my colour matching skills and also to re-create the look intended for the lesson.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment