Sunday 7 December 2014

Use of electrical products- Curling and tongs.

Curling and Tongs

For this lesson, we looked at curling and tonging the hair using electrical appliances. Emma introduced the different tools used in order to create curls and showed us how to create different styles using different techniques. Some of the electrical equipment she showed us included conical wands, curling tongs of different sizes and also how to create curls using straighteners.
 
Emma told us that the size of the curl depended on the size of the barrel of the tong. The smaller the barrel, the  smaller and tighter the curl. For this lesson, I decided to experiment with the conical wand and aimed to create a catwalk style from the curls that I had created.
 
 
 
Tools used:
-Conical wand
-Setting lotion
-Brushes
-Hairspray
-Vitapoint
-Pins and grips
 
Health and Safety:
-Ensure work space is clean and tidy
-Ensure there are no trailing wires
-Ensure heated equipment is in good working order
-Be careful when using heated products near the models skin
 
 
Step by step (Creating the curl):
-Create a side parting using the end of a tail comb to create a straight part on the side of the head.
-Clip the bulk of the hair to the top of the head
-Taking a small section from the bottom, comb through the hair and spritz with setting spray. (Setting spray will make the curl last longer)
-Facing the conical wand downwards, wrap the hair starting from the top of the head , down the length of the wand.
-Ensure the head is protected from the heated appliance by placing your comb underneath the hair and near the root.
-Hold the bottom of the hair as close to the tip of the wand as you can without burning yourself and hold for a few seconds.
-Release the hair and move the curl into the direction intended.
-Alternate the direction of the curls to get a natural look.
-When approaching the front of the face, curl the hair away from the face, in keeping with the style.
-Apply a pea sized amount of Vitapoint to the hair to smooth it.
 
 
Fig. 1

Fig. 2
 

Step by step (Catwalk messy):
-Start by separating some of the curls (I find that using fingers lightly works best)
-Backcomb the roots at the top of the head and slightly underneath to create added volume. Use a tail comb to do this.
-Shape the teased hair into a smoother look by using a dress out comb to brush through the hair lightly, making sure the volume is not lost.
-Hairspray slightly if needed but only use a small amount.
- Tease some of the curls gently by using a tail comb to back comb the hair lightly, to create a catwalk messy look.
-Rough the hair up slightly by running your fingers through it to ensure the curls are not too regimented.
 
 
 
Fig. 3


Fig. 4
 
 
 
Evaluation
 
I really enjoyed using the conical wand because it was something that I have never used before. I think that the curls created with the conical are a lot more nicer and modern than the ones created with the tongs. I found creating the curls quite easy and enjoyable. The only problem I faced was trying to avoid hook ends. With the conical wand you can only do your best to hold the ends as close to the wand as possible so although I was unhappy with the ends, Emma assured me that it was quite unavoidable and I was able to fix them with backcombing later. The only other problem I faced was taking too big a section of hair and creating looser curl at the top of the hair section which I wasn't entirely happy with. (Fig. 1) This was an easy mistake to make but I was glad that I made it to see the different type of curl that it created.
 
When creating this look with a finished style in mind, I tried to alternate the direction that I curled the hair in. (Fig. 2) Although I think I could have mixed the directions even more, I was overall happy with the finished look and think that the curls looked really beautiful curled away from the face.
 
I was really pleased with my finished catwalk messy look because I think it worked well with the curls that I created. Although I think that generally I could have got the hair a lot smoother, I was pleased with how the curls sat around the face and especially pleased with the volume I created in the hair. To get the hair smoother next time, I would use a serum or a small amount of Vitapoint to tame the hair.
 
 I really liked how the front of the hair turned out (Fig. 3) especially on the left hand side because I think it looks really pretty with the curls brought down lower and away from the face. I wasn't overly pleased with the back of the hair (Fig. 4) because I think that the curls aren't as even as they should be. Although it is intended to be a messy look, the curls at the bottom are still quite prominent whereas at the top of the hair, they are wider apart and more loose. I think that to improve this look I would like to take the curls and try to incorporate them into an up do and also use different sized conical wands to create a more varied, natural look.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment