Sunday 7 December 2014

Practise Assessment (Makeup)

Practise Assessment- Zac Posen

This lesson was a practise for the formative assessment. For this assessment, we had to chose one catwalk show and re-create the makeup from the show on a model. After being assigned my model, I chose to re-create the makeup from the Zac Posen SS15 show in New York.
 
The reason I chose this look was because my model has very similar skin and I thought that the makeup would look beautiful on her. I really love the red lips and think they compliment the orange toned shimmering eye colour. The makeup is very clean and minimal with no eyeliner/lashes and minimal mascara but I think that it works really well.
 
 
Image courtesy of axbeauty.com
 
 
Products used:
-Le Maquillage foundation palettes
-MAC translucent powder
-MAC mascara
-Kryolan lip palette
-Kryolan eye shadow palette
-Ben Nye eye shadow palette
-MAC painterly
-Sleek eye shadow palette
-MUA eyebrow gel
-MAC concealer palette
 
Tools:
-Brushes
-Powder puff
-Sponges
 
Health and Safety:
-Ensure the model is positioned at the correct height
-Ensure all kit and brushes are clean
-Ensure the work area is tidy and clean
-Ensure hands are clean and sanitized before starting the makeup
 
Step by step:
-Analyse the condition of the skin. (My model had dry skin in places so I used extra moisturiser in the areas that needed it)
-Cleanse, tone and moisturise the model.
-Colour correct any areas that need it. (My model had slight rosacea so I used green from the Le Maquillage palette to counteract the redness.) Use a foundation brush to lightly apply to the skin using minimal product. 
-Using the MAC concealer palette, conceal any areas that need attention. (I used concealer for under the eyes)
-Match the models skin tone to a foundation using the Le Maquillage palette. (My model had quite a pale complexion with yellow and pink undertones so I mixed a neutral colour with a hint of yellow and a small amount of pink)
-Apply the foundation lightly with a foundation brush, use the warmth of your hands to press the foundation into the skin. (This prevents streaking)
-Once applied, use a powder brush  and the translucent powder to set the foundation.
-Groom the eyebrows using MUA eyebrow gel and a spooley.
-Get the model to close her eyes, apply MAC painterly to the eye lids using a concealer brush. (This acts as a base for the eye shadow to stick to)
-Mix the two oranges from the Kryolan brights eye shadow palette together, tap off any excess and apply to the lids with an eye shadow brush up to the crease of the eye.
-Blend upwards slightly using a blending brush.
-Apply the golden shimmer from the Sleek eye shadow palette on top of the orange and blend upwards into the crease.
- Get the model to look up. Using a small brush, apply the two eye shadows under the eye using minimal product and softly blend.
-Using a fan brush, apply MAC mascara to the top and bottom lashes. Use a comb to get rid of any clumps.
-Apply lip liner to the lips, making sure to refer back to the image to get the correct shape.
-Fill in the lips using a colour mixed from the Kryolan lip palette and a lip brush. (I mixed a bright red with a hint of orange)
-Blot the lips to remove excess product.
-Make the lips matte by using a clean eye shadow brush and pressing translucent powder onto them.
 
 
Model: Kayleigh Blackmore

Model: Kayleigh Blackmore
 

 
Evaluation
 
What went well:
I really enjoyed this lesson because I really like looking at photographs and trying to work out what makeup techniques and products were used to create the look. I was really pleased with my time keeping for this trial. I was able to quickly analyse the colour correcting that was needed and counteract the redness of my models cheeks straight away and also matched her skin tone correctly without requiring any help. Reflecting on the beginning of the year, this is something that I would have struggled with so I was really happy with my efforts.
 
I was really pleased with the eye shadow application and as happy with the colour mixes that I chose. Before using the eye shadows, I used MAC painterly as a base. I really love this versatile product because it sticks to the skin well and is a good base for most eye shadows. I really loved the shimmer colour from the Sleek palette. Sleek is an affordable makeup brand and the pigments are really intense which I love which just goes to show that expensive products aren't always the best. The product blends into the skin well and photographs really beautifully.
 
What I found hard:
Perhaps the only thing I really struggled with was the lips. I don't find lip application particularly difficult but I do struggle with lip liner and balance. In the above photos you can see that my balance was not that great. The left hand side was much thinner than the right so for the exam I will make sure to check the mirror at all times and ensure the balance is correct. I think that I did get the correct shape for the bow of the lip though which I was pleased with but I really do need to practise applying lip liner as it took me a long time to do and didn't look as great as I had hoped. I also think that on the right hand side I brought the eye makeup slightly too far out so I will make sure to check my balance for the exam.
 
What I need to do differently for the exam:
As I spent a lot of time on the lips, I ran out of time to add any contouring and highlight. In the original photograph you can see a light contour just below the cheekbone and a slight highlight so for the exam I will add this to complete the look. Also, I wasn't entirely sure whether to add any colour to the eyebrows as looking at the original photograph there doesn't appear to be any colour in them at all. I think I am going to go with my gut instinct and leave them as they are because I actually think they look good like this as it draws the attention to the makeup.
 
Overall I really enjoyed this makeup application and think that I did a good job of recreating the look.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment