Sunday 7 December 2014

Shampooing, Conditioning and Blow drying techniques.

Shampooing, Conditioning and Blow drying techniques.

For this lesson, we learnt how to shampoo and condition the hair correctly and also learnt how blow dry the hair straight.
 
 
Products used:
-Shampoo and conditioner
-Heat defence spray
-Vitapoint
 
Tools used:
-Brushes
-Straighteners
-Hairdryer
 
Health and Safety:

-Ensure the work space is clean and tidy, with no trailing wires.
-Ensure all electrical equipment is in good working order.
-Be careful when using heated appliance on the client.
 
 
Step by step: (Washing)
-Comb the hair through beforehand to avoid tangling when washing.
-Put two disposable towels around the models shoulders to protect clothing from getting wet.
-Ask the model to sit in the chair correctly, making sure all hair is in the basin.
-Test the water on your skin to make sure it is the correct heat. (Not too hot or cold) Ask the model if the temperature is okay.
-Begin to wet the whole of the head with the water, making sure the whole head is covered.
-Cup your hand and use it as a guard to protect the face from becoming wet. Push the water away from the face.
-Put a small amount of shampoo into the palm of your hand and begin to lather into the head and hair paying attention to the scalp and roots.
-Ensure that you use your fingers to massage the head and not your nails as this could scratch the model and irritate their scalp.
-Rinse away the product using your fingers.
-Repeat these steps if the hair is particularly dirty.
-For conditioning, add a small amount of product to the palm.
-Massage the conditioner into the hair, using small circular movements, pay particular attention to occipital and sides.
-Rinse the hair out using the same technique when rinsing the shampoo. Be sure that no bubbles are left in the hair and make sure the nape has been rinsed.
-Squeeze any excess water out of the hair before allowing your model to sit up.
-Wrap a disposable towel around the head and ask the model to hold it while she attends her seat.
 
Step by step: Hair drying
-Start by patting the hair as dry as possible with the towel. Avoid rubbing the hair together as this may tangle the hair.
-Part the hair into sections, clip the bulk of the hair to the top of the head.
-Start from the bottom, taking small sections.
-Grab a section, place a Denman brush underneath the hair.
-Angle the hairdryer downwards on top of the hair, and smooth the hair as you dry to keep the cuticles smooth.
-Use this technique over the whole head.
-Once dry, use a small amount of heat defence spray and straighten the hair by taking small sections.
-Add a pea size amount of vitapoint if needed to smooth the hair.
 
 
Model: Rania Ali
Fig. 1

Model: Rania Ali
Fig. 2

Model: Rania Ali
Fig. 3

Model: Rania Ali
Fig. 4
 
Evaluation
 
I really enjoyed this lesson, particularly because something that I thought would be so simple, actually requires a lot of technique and hand co-ordination. I really enjoyed shampooing and conditioning the hair and think that I did it quite well. I regularly asked my model if she was comfortable with what I was doing and was pleased that she was happy with my treatment.
 
As my models hair was originally quite dirty, I shampooed the hair twice. This is something that I recognised myself and I went with my initiative instead of embarrassing the model and discussing it with her. It is important that the client feels at ease when completing a task like this so I ensured I acted in a professional manor.
 
Once I successfully shampooed and conditioned the hair, I took the model back to her seat (Fig. 1) and began to comb the hair into sections to dry. For this part of the treatment, we were asked to work in pairs to dry the hair. Rather than deciding to separate the hair in two and concentrate on a side each, my partner and I agreed to work together to complete the look to the best of our ability, so we each had a hair dryer and worked on different areas together.
 
Emma showed us a variety of techniques when drying using different brushes. I experimented with the Denman brush, which I found I preferred and also experimented with the round brushes that have a  metal inner part. The technique I used with the Denman included putting the brush under the hair and combing downwards as you blow dry. I found this technique the simplest because it wasn't so fiddly but I did try the other techniques so that I could compare my results. The technique used with the round brush included rolling the brush upwards. I found this quite tricky and was also aware that if I rolled it too high the brush would get stuck in the hair. Although I found this technique more time consuming, I did think that having the metal inner part helped to dry the hair much quicker than using a regular brush.
 
 I was really pleased with how the finished blow dry came out however my model did have a natural kink in her hair that was prominent in the finished look. (Fig. 2) Although I feel that I tried my best to avoid this from happening by drying the hair straight, I think next time I could worth with the heat to fix this. To ensure my model left happy, I used straighteners to finish the look.
 
Overall, I'm really happy with the finished look and think my models hair looked healthy and shiny. (Fig. 3 & Fig. 4) I enjoyed working in a pair as it enabled me to work quicker and also to work both individually and as a team to create the finished look. I was confident that my model was happy with the treatment and left my seat feeling pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment